Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Thankfulness

It's Tuesday, I woke up this morning and realized that yesterday was Monday, which means that I totally forgot to blog.  I've been rather busy with school and such, but there is a good chance that we might have a delay or a cancellation tomorrow, so I feel that I have the liberty to procrastinate doing my homework later than I normally would.  Thus, this is your Monday blog.  On Tuesday. (Better late than never?)

 Today in Psychology class we were discussing how the environment can effect (affect?) your behavior.  Part of this subject was malnourishment, and the health problems that it can create. 

This discussion made me think of many of the children that I worked with in Mexico.  If you would like to know more about who I was involved with in Mexico you can find more out here.  Basically I worked in an adoptive home where they took in abandoned children, many of whom were malnourished upon arriving.

Their mother once told me that when one of the girls arrived at Refuge Ranch, she did not understand that there would be three meals a day, every single day.  At her first meal, the family bowed their head to say a quick prayer.  When the quick prayer was done, they looked up, and she had her cheeks stuffed full of food, and dripping down her face.  She had probably never had a meal that meal big.  As she continued to live at the Ranch, she realized that meals happened on a daily basis.  She learned to wait as the family prayed, and eat slowly, enjoying the food.  Time progressed, and as her hair grew out you could see a line from where she had begun to get proper nutrients.

Another child that lives at Refuge Ranch hates onions.  She cannot stand to eat them in anything.  One day I asked her why.  She told me that before she came to live there, she only had onions and tortillas to eat.  Onions and tortillas were the only thing that her biological family had money for!  She couldn't stand the taste of onions anymore, because it reminded her of her previous life.

As I was writing this I was thinking of two lessons that could go with it:

1.  Make sure you receive the proper spiritual nourishment, so that you can grow in Christ.  Read the Bible, go to Church, etc.

2.  Have an attitude of gratitude.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;
 for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Next time someone asks you to carry in groceries, smile and help them, and be thankful that you have groceries. 

Next time you step out of your how shower and the mirror is fogged up, be thankful you have hot, running water.

Next time you have to eat food that you don't like, smile, and eat it.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. 
I Chronicles 16:34

 God Loves You!  Remember that when you're having trouble with your attitude of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment