Monday, March 25, 2013

Indiana

I just came in from shoveling snow off of the driveway.  This fact wouldn't bother me, except that I wasn't supposed to be home today.  I was supposed to be visiting a college, because it's my Spring break and this was going to be a great opportunity to view campus life and not miss school.  Instead we decided that the weather was too icky and we were going to stay home.  I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it's my Spring break,(the first one I've had in three years) and it snowed. 

Right now you're probably thinking: Why in the world has it been three years since she has had a Spring Break??  Well, you see, this is my first year in public school since seventh grade.  I was home schooled in eighth, ninth, and tenth grade.  I was home schooled because I was living in Mexico with my family as missionaries and my parents still wanted me to get a good education. Plus, when I went down, I only knew a little bit of Spanish.  When I was home schooled, I didn't have snow days(I was in Mexico, so I really didn't have snow!), I didn't have thanksgiving break (my parents would let me have that Thursday off, but Thanksgiving is an American holiday), I didn't have a summer break (if people would come for a one week mission trip I would do half days and then I could work with them on whatever project they were trying to complete.  If  I needed more curriculum then I had to wait for someone to come from the U.S. with the books, because things are likely to get lost in the Mexican postal system), and I didn't have a spring break(The season of Spring doesn't exist.  Mexico has a wet season and a dry season due to the mountainous terrain and the latitude in which it is located.)  All of that being said, I did have breaks.  I would work ahead in my curriculum, doing double the work for about a week and then I would go on mission trips. (Learn more about the mission trips I would go on here) 

 
Now I'm in Indiana.  How did I wind up here again?  To be honest, I don't know.  It's freezing cold in the winter, and apparently freezing cold in Spring as well.  I guess the question I should ask myself isn't, "How did I end up here?"  The question I should ask myself is, "What am I going to do while I'm here?"  "How am I going to make a difference?"  "Am I going to love everyone, not just my friends?" "Are my actions holy?" "Do my actions look like everybody else's actions?"


The thing is, just because I'm no longer living in a different country doesn't make me less of a missionary.  I still want to change the world for the better.  Being in public school gives me a great opportunity to be different.  By not allowing the world to change me, I can be a witness.  When it all comes down to it though, I do have to let God transform me.  If I can't, or won't, let God change me, I am not a very effective witness.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2

Just a note for your information:
The reason I am blogging three times a week is to spend the extra time I  have because I am giving up movies/video/television for lent.  In case you're unaware, this is the last week of lent.  I do not plan to continue blogging so often. However, I will continue to blog once a week on Fridays.

Here is a photo simply for your viewing pleasure :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment