Monday, August 25, 2014

Dorm Rooms, New People, Den Pops, and The Magic Tree House Series

I have lived at college for almost one week.  I have moved into a dorm room.  I've met many new people.  I've enjoyed drinking a pop from the store named "The Den."  And I have been to many talks during the events at Boiler Gold Rush.  These talks had a wide range of topics, but most of them had a similar theme.  Basically, if you want to succeed at college you have to work hard and be willing to seek out help.  You can't just assume that you'll understand something.

Truthfully, I can be a very stubborn person who doesn't like to accept help from people.  Obviously I am not the only person like that here.  The speakers frequently reminded us to stop by and talk to professors during their office hours and contact tutoring services.  Why are we so stubborn as humans?  Why are we unwilling to ask others for help?  Or, to ask a somewhat deeperish question,  why won't we ask God for help?  God created us.  God loves us.  Why wouldn't we want to depend on him for help?  As humans we want to stand by ourselves.  However, we've been designed as weak human beings for a reason.  We have faults.  We have these so that we have to depend upon God.  Because we are weak, God can show everyone his strength through us.

At college they want you to ask for help everywhere.  Not just for class but also in the libraries here.  During the question and answer session after the presentation of what kinds of resources are available in the library, many kinds of questions were asked, very few got applause when the answer was stated.  However, there was one particular question that was asked that received applause when answered.  What was the question you may ask?

"Does the library here have The Magic Tree house Series? "  And of course, being the wonderful resource that librarians most often are, the librarian did not know.  However, upon looking it up it was found that the Purdue library does indeed possess The Magic Tree House  series.  And so, as I start classes at college on Monday I may just check out one book in The Magic Tree House  series.  After all, what is cooler than a magic tree house??  I mean, really...I can't think of anything except for maybe a magic tree house with laser beams...but I'll think about that another day. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment