Monday, August 11, 2014

VACATION

I went on vacation with my parents this week it was nice.  As I've been busy doing things all week and can't choose which story, I will just give you a quick log of my vacation:

Monday:
Begin 8 hour drive.  Our GPS tried to take us through Canada to get to New York near Niagara falls, so that was annoying, as we didn't want to take that route.

We hit Toledo around lunch.  Toledo was officially released from its water advisory but none of the restaurants were ready to reopen yet.  We drove around quite awhile before we found an open Subway.

About 5 hours into the drive we pulled over to the side of the interstate to realize that there was only one nut left on our right rear wheel.  After getting a trooper who called a tow truck, we got out car disconnected from our camper so that it could be put onto the flat bed.  The same tow truck company brought a separate truck to tow the camper.  The tow company was willing to fix the problem, so we went to his house to fix it.  He found another issue, so they fixed that as well.

Back on the road...and something still wasn't right.  The steering wheel was jerking a lot in my dad's hands.  We decided to find a nearby campgrounds and stay there.

Tuesday:

The next morning my dad took the car to a tire place that figured out the problem and fixed it!  HURRAY!

We arrived at the campground that we had originally planned on

We then went to Niagara Falls on the U.S. side.  (Yay gravity and water)

Wednesday:

My parents and I enjoyed looking at Lake Ontario from our campgrounds before heading to Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

We proceeded back to the U.S. and hiked along the Niagara River for a few hours.

Thursday:

Another 8 hour drive

About 3 hours in we had to stop to change a tire on the camper.

Upon arrival to our campgrounds we saw warnings about bears, which is not something I am used to.

After enjoying hobo pies with my dad, I went to take a shower and discovered that it was 25 cents per 5 minutes.  Not a huge deal, just unexpected.

Friday:

While my dad was looking through a container in the back of our car, I attempted to aid him.  It is a hatchback, so I had my knees on the bumper to get to where I could see.  My knees began to hurt so I hopped down and started to walk away.  As I began to walk away I hurt the container's lid shut on my dad's head.  I began to laugh and he told me to help him again.  While still laughing I attempted to get to where I could see again.  However, as I began to lose my balance I grabbed the cooler....that has wheels!  I quickly realized that this would not stabilize me and started to grab my dad's arm, but alas, it was too late.  I went a tumblin' out of the car, hitting my shorts on the greasy hitch and still laughing as I hit the ground.

I also met some of my dad's cousins throughout the day which was pretty cool since I've not really met this side of the family in my memory.  (I met them when I was young and only have a few memories of them)

We got to play euchre, which is something I enjoy.

Saturday:

I met the rest of the family at the reunion and enjoyed some time in my cousins pool.

We left right after supper and head back to New York, about a 5 hour drive.  We got there just before midnight.

Sunday:

We experienced an uneventful 12 hour drive home and were informed by our neighbor that she had found a cottonmouth in her backyard, so we might want to be careful!



On a somewhat unrelated sidenote:  I normally reread what I've written to make sure that it all makes sense.  However today I'm going to wing it and hope for the best.  Please ignore my terrible typos! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment