Sunday, August 17, 2014

Thoughts of an Almost College Student

It is Friday.  This will not be posted until Sunday.  Tomorrow I move in to my dorm room at Purdue University.  Everyone that I've run into in the past week has asked me if I'm excited.  They've asked me if I'm nervous.  And, to tell the simple, honest truth, I don't know.  I would not say that I'm overly excited about the new responsibilities that I'm about to have to fulfill.  I would say that I'm excited about having more freedom, I am not nervous about that.

So what is it that I'm feeling as I am about to start my career at Purdue University???  I, quite simply, am a little bit excited, a little bit nervous, a little bit sad, a little bit happy, and extremely curious.  I'm ready for freedom.  I don't feel ready for college coursework and other "real life" responsibilities.  I will miss my parents. I like seeing my brother on almost every weekend.  I'm happy that I'll make new friends.  But most of all, I'm curious.    I don't know what these next 4 years will hold.

But guess what???  I've never known what's going to happen in my life.  Suddenly I realize that this point in my life is no different than any other part of my existence.  When I was in fourth grade I would not have guessed that my week-long trip to Mexico would change my life forever.  In eighth grade I wouldn't have guessed that I would enjoy homeschooling more than public school.  In ninth grade, I wouldn't have guessed that I would be sent back to public school in eleventh grade.  And in eleventh grade I wouldn't have guessed I would end up choosing a large state university instead of a private Christian college. And now, as I'm about to begin the first semester of my college career at Purdue University, the familiarity of unfamiliarity strikes me as nerve-racking.   Why?  Why can't I simply look back on the past 18 years of my life and see that God has always provided and will continue to provide and guide me just as He has always done.  Why can't I look at everyone close to me and see the same thing?  Why am I so anxious to know what is going to happen?  Why can't I just choose to live the adventure that God has put me in?  Why can't I choose to love the adventure?

God has put me here for a purpose.  I'm going to Purdue University.  I don't know what will happen there.
  Quite simply, I haven't figured out life yet.  However, even though I don't know God's purpose I can choose how to live my life.  I choose to live the adventure.  I choose to love the adventure.  God has put me here for a reason.  I will not pretend to understand why.  However, God has a purpose for me and I will attempt to be a light that shows Christ's love to those around me.  I choose to live life.  I choose to love life.


No comments:

Post a Comment