Monday, June 15, 2015

An Unplanned Thursday

My church has a bible study every Thursday this summer.  This past Thursday, I decided to go grocery shopping before Bible Study to pick up some things that I knew I was going to need over the weekend and for this upcoming week.  While I was in the store my brother called me and informed that he was stranded on the side of the road because his truck had broken down.  Since my parents were out of the state for the past week on a mission trip with their church's youth group, they couldn't help him.  Basically, I needed to go pick him up from Dayton and get him to Logansport.

By the time my brother had explained everything to me, I had most of my groceries in my cart, so I checked out and headed towards Dayton with the fear that my refrigerated groceries would not be very cold by the time I got my brother from Dayton to Logansport and then went back to my house in West Lafayette.  If the amount of elapsed time isn't enough to convince you that my groceries were a potential concern, I will take this moment to point out that the car that I drive doesn't have air conditioning, and on Thursday the high was around 89 degrees Fahrenheit with high humidity.

With such high heat I was also wondering if my brother would be thirsty, as he hadn't told me how long he had been stranded. However all of my concerns were for not.  When I was about 5 minutes away from Dayton, my brother called me to inform me that his truck had started and he was going to try to make it back to Logansport.  I proceeded to turn around and head back towards my house in West Lafayette.  Upon arrival to my house, an acquaintance saw me in the driveway and asked if I was going to my church's Bible study.  Since I had originally planned on going and my plans hadn't really changed so much as been delayed, I said that I would indeed be able to go to Bible study.

During Bible study I was not very focused as I waited on a text from my brother saying that he had arrived in Logansport, which came towards the end of the bible study.  I like things to go by my plan.  But the thing is, God is trying to show me that even if I have my own plans, I still need to trust Him.  God has the full picture while we only have one puzzle piece.  We may not know why our piece seems ugly, but in the end, when it all fits together, it is a beautiful masterpiece that we wouldn't have been able to imagine.

I don't know why my brother's truck broke down or why I had to spend extra time in a car on Thursday night.  But I do know that God has a purpose for everything and that his timing is perfect.

The best part?  This was the topic of discussion in Bible study on Thursday. :)

He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the human hear; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment