Monday, May 25, 2015

Learning and Preparation

I've met some pretty awesome people recently through doing some volunteering at the local homeless shelter.  Recently I enjoyed meeting a man who was also a volunteer.  We were able to have a fairly lengthy conversation about life and faith.  One of the things that he said repeatedly was, "We are both here tonight for a reason."  That made me thing about all the times in my life when God was preparing me without me even being aware of what was happening.

Every day that I live, God is trying to teach me and prepare me for the next thing that He has planned for me.  When I had a break in my schedule in Mexico, I worked with a couple of the kids on their reading.  When I moved back to the U.S. and dove back into public school, I became a peer tutor, and started helping a young boy with his reading skills.  I was pretty far from a perfect teacher, but I know that the previous experience certainly helped me in the endeavor.

My dad didn't realize he was being called into ministry until I was in the third grade.  Before that, he had been working as a mechanic.  I could easily say that it would have been easier for me if my dad hadn't needed to go back to college when I was in elementary school through my junior high years.  However, when we went to Mexico, the organization we were working with (Fishers of Men) really needed someone who could repair and maintain their vehicles.

My fellow volunteer's words echo in my mind.  "We are both here for a reason."  There is certainly truth in that statement.  God wants to use my experiences to teach me.  God has bigger plans for me than what I've already done, because what I've already done has been part of the process of Him teaching and molding me into what He wants.  I haven't always been willing and He has had to work with me on my stubbornness to give up sinful habits.  This will be a lifelong process and struggle.  But I know that I will endure with His power and strength.  I know that I need to learn to depend on His love, and nothing else.  God is teaching me to live his love everyday that I am alive.

I don't know how my current circumstances are going to be used later, but I know that God has a use for every single day of my life.  It is up to me be a good student and learn from Him.  It is up to me to wake up and give Him every single day, both to serve Him and to learn from Him.

The person that I was volunteering with took some time to share his testimony with me.  I was amazed at his story.  He has such a strong, new faith that left me in awe.  His life before God had not been one of happiness.  It wasn't until he realized that only God could pull him out from where he was that his life became what it is today.

In much the same way, God has plans for everybody.  He wants to help each and everyone of us learn how to live his love.  We just have to humble ourselves and pray.

When I shut up the heavens so that here is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:13-14

I don't want to be content with a drought and locusts.  I need to learn to humble myself, pray, and seek God.

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment