Monday, March 30, 2015

Seeking the Truth

The more I investigate into current issues the more I realize that it all depends on your interpretation of the events/laws/bills at hand.  Words from my boss from the past summers come to mind: "Perception becomes reality."  Everyone has their own perception of things.  They also have their own preconceived notions of what to expect which effects their perception.

For example, when lots of people are going crazy about a book and I read it, I almost never love the book as much as everyone else.  This is because I go into the book with such high expectations that oftentimes I feel let down when I'm done reading the book.  In Psychology class I recently learned that if you smile you're more likely to be happy, so we now know that Botox injections can help with depression because it's hard to be sad when your face is stuck in a smile.  You're also more likely to find a joke funnier if you're smiling when you first see it.  I've learned through Ted talks that if I stand with a confident pose I'm more likely to act confident even if I'm not actually confident.  I'm also more likely to be less outgoing if I sit in a smaller, weaker pose.  (You can find this Ted talk here and here is a nice Crashcourse to Psycholgy.)

Lately I've been investigating a controversial issue in my home state.  The more I examine, the more I am amazed by how many different ways this issue can be interpreted.  There are hundreds of blog posts being circulated over the internet.  A lot of these posts are interpretations of the matter.  The most amazing thing to me is that one opinion doesn't represent an uneducated side while the other does.  Both sides here are educated.  There are lawyers and professors and clergy looking at the same exact issue and going to completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

For the first day, this baffled me.  I couldn't understand how there was such a difference in the interpretations for one bill.  That is when my former boss's word's came to me, "Perception becomes reality."  He used it to remind his camp staff that what you think you are seeing is your reality.  He mostly used it to remind us how are actions would be perceived by others, since there are plenty of observers at a summer camp.   This quote from my boss coupled with the previous note about Psychology helps me to understand why there are so many different interpretations for what is actually happening in my state.  Everyone is coming in with their own thoughts, their own biases, their own preconceived notions, and interpreting the controversy.

After I had come to this realization, I had another question.  How am I supposed to form my own opinion about this?  I have read the actual bill.  I didn't understand it.  I could look up someone's interpretation, but that takes me right back to the original problem.  And then I realized something.  I might not be able to know 100% right now.  But what I can keep doing is living the way God tells me to live in His Word.

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."
John 8: 31-32

God knows the truth and the right way.  It's Him I should depend on for this issue and Him alone.  Not other's interpretation.  Not my own preconceived notions.  Not others opinions.  God.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
Luke 8:17
Someday the truth will be shown, and I'm going to keep doing my best to love God in the meantime.
Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment