Monday, March 9, 2015

Birds

There was a hawk eating a bird in a tree outside of my window last week.  It was pretty cool to look out and see a hawk in the tree outside my window.  I thought it was even cooler when I saw that it was eating a smaller bird (although I can see why some people would find this unpleasant).

Part of the reason why I was surprised to see such a big bird outside my window is because of my environment.  I would not normally think of large birds like that thriving in the city.  I know that plenty do, but typically when I think of animals I think of exploring in the woods and stumbling across them, not seeing them outside my window in an urban setting.  However, clearly this bird was living in the city that the world had built on top of its habitat.  That being said, the hawk still looked out of place.  It did not look like it belonged among the red-brick buildings.

I think we can learn a valuable lesson from this hawk.  We can thrive and exist in the world without becoming a part of the world.  The hawk, while being in the city, clearly had a wild and undomesticated feeling about it.  It did not belong.  Neither do we, and people should be able to tell that there is something different about us.

My church has been doing a series on Daniel that focused on living in exile.  Daniel became a leader and was very powerful, yet he remained separate during the entirety of his life.  So did Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego.   Their stories are amazing and should be an inspiration to us about how to live in but not of the world.

I have given them [the disciples] your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.  My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.  Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.  For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
John 17:14-19

(Yes I am aware that this analogy is definitely a stretch.) 

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment