Monday, March 2, 2015

Guest Blogger from Bethel College and Things you Learn at Purdue! :D


7 Things I Learned During My Weekend at Purdue

Firstly, I’d like to apologize. You probably came to this blog expecting the wonderful weekly writings of Joanna, but I’m sorry to tell you that I am not Joanna and I’m not much of a writer. This week is my spring break, so this past weekend I drove to Purdue and stayed with Joanna. Between entertaining me and studying for upcoming exams this week, she had little time to write a blog, so you’re stuck with me. I've decided to share with you some of my thoughts/experiences from this weekend, so here are 7 things I learned during my weekend at Purdue.

1.      John Purdue had some weird stipulations.
John Purdue’s donation to the university came with many strings attached. All buildings must be made of red brick. Part of the university always has to be under construction. No building can be taller than the bell tower. Certain buildings bend the rules a bit, but for the most part these stipulations are followed.

2.      Some bell towers are only meant for decoration.
Purdue has one of the tallest bell towers in the world. Supposedly, the bells don’t actually work though because the tower wasn't built correctly. (A school known for their engineering program doesn't have a working bell tower?)

3.      If underground tunnels are an option for travel, use them!
Purdue has underground tunnels that connect different buildings. It’s the coolest thing! I’m not sure why tunnels aren't more common on college campuses. They save people from bearing the freezing tundra and from dealing with traffic when crossing the street.

4.      If traveling in said underground tunnels, always take a friend.
Joanna and I decided to explore the tunnels Sunday afternoon. At first it surprised me how few people used them, but after walking through quite a few of them, I was very thankful I had somebody with me. The tunnels honestly reminded me of a scene from a horror movie. They were really cool, but I probably wouldn’t use them by myself.

5.      College food can actually be surprisingly good.
I attend a small college with very few dining options. I assumed all college food was subpar, but I was wrong. The food at Purdue is really good. There are make your own pizza and stir-fry stations, fresh baked cookies, fresh fruit and veggies, and so much more. Purdue also has a grocery store on campus that has a weird milkshake machine/freezer. I’ll attach a link to the milkshake company if you’d like to learn more.

6.      Just because somewhere is called a library doesn’t mean it actually contains books.
Purdue has an underground library, but it doesn’t have any books. It’s just a place people can go to study.

7.      Friends are friends forever.
Joanna and I have been friends for a long time. We have shared many common interests including swimming, band, academics, and most importantly our relationships with Jesus. As sisters in Christ we've been there for one another through everything from our greatest joys to our deepest pains. Although God has taken us down different paths now, it’s nice being able to get together and know that nothing has really changed. We can laugh at each other while also sharing the different ways God has been working in our lives. As we get older we may change and grow apart, but I know one day we’ll reunited once again in our forever home in heaven. Friendships are a blessing from God, and I can’t thank God enough for the friendship I have with Joanna. Thanks Joanna for the wonderful years we've shared together and the many more that I’m sure will come! J

God bless,


Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment