Monday, October 6, 2014

Pancakes at 2am

First and foremost: An apology.  I'm sorry that I did not blog last week.  Quite simply, I had homework and needed a break.  The blog hit the back burner.

This weekend I got 18 hours of sleep.  It was glorious.  However, it is not this weekend, but the weekend before that that I would like to blog about.  I have gotten involved with a ministry here that does various things on campus.  On homecoming weekend, they decided to serve free pancakes.  Apparently, most people on college campuses are not morning people.  (I knew that beforehand, it's just a bit more exaggerated than I had anticipated).  Because most people are up late at night, the most logical time to serve pancakes is not on a Saturday morning.  Basically, they decided to serve pancakes from 10:00pm on Friday until 2:00am on Saturday.  I decided to help out with this, even though I'm typically not a late night person.  I wake up before around 6:15-6:30 most days of the week.

I really enjoyed being able to help out with this unique ministry.  My group started by walking around campus handing out flyers to let people know about the free pancakes.  After that, around midnight, we went back to the house where we ate some pancakes and socialized with the people that had come to get pancakes.  We let them know who was behind the pancakes and informed them about other events that the ministry has.  We did this for about an hour and then went into the building where we prayed for the event for the last hour.  I had anticipated feeling completely exhausted by that time, but I didn't.

To be honest, this was an event that wasn't something I would normally do.  It's not that I don't like pancakes.  It's more that I am one of the few college students who actually wakes up on Saturday morning most of the time.  In reality though, doing it when it was most logical and convenient for me would not have been nearly as effective.  They give out the pancakes late at night because they know that that is when they will be in demand.  Because they match the demand, they can have a much greater impact.

What I'm really trying to say is, you don't want to be of the world, because then you make no impact.  However you do want to be in the world, because that is when the real impact can be made.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment