Monday, October 27, 2014

Light

Two things before this blog actually begins:
1.  It almost didn't happen.
                   I started to do my Chemistry homework and it turns out I've already completed it.  I don't remember what it covered, but it's done, so I have the time to blog.
2.  Parts of this blog were written last year for a writing assignment that I was given.

At my old elementary school, in fourth grade, you have a homeroom teacher and a reading teacher.  Because of this, for about thirty minutes or an hour each day each student leaves their homeroom teacher's classroom and goes to their reading class. My reading teacher was a fantastic teacher.  She kept us busy reading to us, having us read, assigning interesting projects, and performing skits and plays for the school.  She taught in such a way that you almost didn't realize that you were learning.

Not only was she a great reading teacher because we were always doing and learning something in her reading class, but she also taught my class at "Crusaders Club."  Crusaders Club is a program that happens every Thursday night at the Baptist church in my hometown.  My teacher would patiently teach the small class Bible stories and how to memorize verses.  She would also share stories about missionaries who lived all the way around the world.  To be able to see how my reading teacher acted outside of school and how my Crusaders Club teacher acted in school was a great privilege for me.

She knew how to lead students through their coursework so that they would be motivated.  What she taught me in Crusaders Club through her words has been useful in my life.  What she taught me at school, through her actions, has been invaluable in my life.  At Crusaders, she taught me the facts of the Bible and told me stories of great Christina people.  But in school, while she was teaching me new words and themes in books, I got to watch a great Christian woman live her life as a woman of great faith, great compassion, and great love.  I got to learn how a great Christian woman lights up the world around her with the love of Jesus.

Throughout my life, I've been exposed to some pretty amazing teachers.  They have taught me much more than how to read and how to add numbers.  They have lived out their faith in the classroom.  They didn't preach about it or talk about it in the schoolroom, but I could tell.  They lived their lives in a way that was different then the rest of the world.  They lived their lives to show the love of Jesus.  (Thanks to all my amazing teachers!!)

Now as I look back on those years I have to wonder, "How much I of what I learned am I applying to my life?  Can others see that there is something different about me?  Am I truly living my life as a light, pointed towards Christ?

You are the light of the world.  A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:4-16

No comments:

Post a Comment