Monday, April 13, 2015

What do You See?

It's exam season!  Before my most recent exam, I sat down next to a friend.  (Yay, I have one now!! :P )  I started talking to her as she traced words in pen that were written in her notebook.  I glanced at it and saw that it was labelled "prayer before a test."  She saw me glancing at it and apologized to me.  I'm not really sure why she felt the need to apologize for praying, but I just sort of shrugged the apology off.  Since the door was open, I proceeded to steer the conversation towards some of my recent thoughts.

I told her that this whole semester I've been asking myself, "Am I good enough?  Am I smart enough?  Am I hard-working enough?  Do I manage time well enough?  Am I good enough to do what I need to do as a student and as a person at Purdue and in this world?"  As this semester has grinded on and I've continued to question, and my conclusion has been that I am NOT enough.  But I have also realized that I am not supposed to be enough.  God has put me where I am today.  He has put me here to shine His light, not mine.  If I was good enough to excel ridiculously easily, I would not depend on Him.  It would be much harder to show that it is through God that I can be successful.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

While I was talking with my friend before the exam, I knew that God told us his grace would be shown in our weaknesses, and I knew that it was in one of the books written by Paul, but I could not remember where the verse was located.  She asked me where it came from, and I referenced all of the times in the Bible when God used the least likely person to accomplish great things (Moses, Rahab, Paul, most of the disciples, etc).  I am not the smartest or the greatest at anything.  I would be a fool to think that I was.  But I do serve the most powerful and most amazing God who uses everyone and everything for his purpose.

I did not anticipate to see God before my Biology exam, but I did.  I saw Him in my friend saying her prayer.  I thought about Him as I spoke to her about my thoughts.  I do now know how I did on the exam yet, but I know that I did my best, and I know that God will use whatever grade I got for His glory.  My only job is to let Him have the glory.  It is very easy for me to forget to look for God in the little things, but clearly when I take the time to look for Him, He is always here, with me.

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment