Monday, April 20, 2015

Thoughts from a Pensive Weekend

After supper I get up from the table and help my family put the leftovers into the fridge.  I have to rearrange everything in the refrigerator just to get everything to fit.  We've all been there.  Sometimes it just feels like a time-consuming annoyance.  However, as these words escape my mouth I realize that this is really a blessing.  I have so much food that some of it will probably go bad before my family can eat it all.  

After I've cleaned up supper, I do my homework.  Some nights this takes me four hours.  I don't want to complain about this because it's an opportunity that many children don't ever have.  I should be thankful for my education, homework included.  there are many people in this world who are smarter than me, but they never receive an education.  I've done nothing to earn this "right."  It's something I was born into, and for that I thank God.

At the end of my day I walk into the bathroom where my brother just took a shower.  I can't see myself in the mirror because his shower had hot, running water and the mirror is foggy.  This is yet another luxury that many people don't have.

Before I climb into bed I sit in my hammock that is in front of the mural that I painted my sophomore year of high school.  I pray and thank God for friends, a working body, a mind that readily absorbs information, and for his compassion, that is new every morning.  Without Him, I wouldn't be anything.  He gives me a new beginning every single day.  

I wrote the above section during high school, but feel that it is a good beginning of my thoughts as this week begins.  This past weekend, I got to spend some time thinking about my life with my friend who does ministry in Kyrgzstan.  I met him when I was in Mexico.  This weekend I spent a long time talking to him and discussing a lot of where I am in my growth in life in general and towards God.  We discussed what goals I want to pursue and what goals I am actually pursuing with what I am currently doing.

He helped me realize a lot of things about myself while we conversed.  He also helped me see how off-center my life currently is.  It's something that I've known in the back of my mind, but has been easy to push away and ignore.  I'm thankful for people like my friend, who are willing to let God use them.  I'm also thankful that as I begin to work on issues that were pointed out to me this weekend that God gives me new compassion and opportunity every morning.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:  Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23 

No comments:

Post a Comment