Monday, April 27, 2015

1 Week

This week I made a decision to take a week off of work this summer.  During that time, I will make a trip to Mexico and spend time at Refuge Ranch, where I lived with my family for 2 years in high school.  As I thought about going back I realized how much I've missed the lifestyle and culture that existed at the Ranch.  You see, Refuge Ranch is a home where children are adopted from broken and abandoned families.  It's not an orphanage.  It is a place where children are adopted into one large family and shown the love of Jesus.  They work to earn a good education and watch as their parents strive to honor God.  It was absolutely amazing to watch the children grow over the two years that I was there.  It was cool to watch as they gained knowledge from school and blossomed in the love from God that flowed through their parents.  It was awesome to watch the kids learn to give love back and learn to trust God with their desires.

As I contemplated everything I had grown to love at the Ranch I remembered how I first got involved there.  I have a vague memory of the two co-founders of the organization coming to my church when I was very small.  But what I really remember was a trip in elementary school.  It was my first mission trip and it was to Refuge Ranch with my family.  It lasted one week and I was in love.  When the time came to leave I was not prepared for the overwhelming feelings of sorrow.  Two years later, when my church planned another trip, my family joined again.  This time we knew that we were going to go move down long term eventually, but it was still just a one week trip. Saying goodbye to people you love will never be easy, and that was true as I left the ranch.

I have since lived at Refuge Ranch and moved back, as mentioned previously.  I got to take part in Evangelical Medical Mission Crusades organized by Fishers of Men (the organization that also runs Refuge Ranch).  It has been more than three years since I have visited Mexico.  During this time, one of the children died from surgical complications, new buildings are beginning to be built to aid expansion of the family, and all of the children have grown.  I'm sure that the younger children don't remember me.

When I look at current photos of the kids, I am amazed at the change that can be seen physically.  I am sure that they have all also experienced a lot of change spiritually as well.  It has been 3 years.  Not only have they changed, so have I.  I've nearly survived through my first year of college (2 more weeks).  I am still learning how to show God's love to people.  I have most definitely changed as well over these past three years.  I hope that my spiritual life has matured as much as the kids have changed physically over these three years.

 It took me one week to fall in love with the culture, the smiles, the land, and the people of Refuge Ranch.  I have not forgotten the love of that one week.  Many years have passed since that very first one week trip.  I have changed and grown a lot since that first one week trip.  God  changed me during that trip, but I have recently realized that He has been trying to change me every week since then.  He has been trying to sculpt me and smooth out my roughness.  He is trying to make me into a Godly woman.  There are definitely days and weeks and months when I fight His hands.  Sometimes I like a particular rough patch and don't want it smoothed out.  Sometimes it hurts to let certain parts of me go.  But God doesn't give up.  He gives me the necessary grace.  In one week in Mexico, God changed me.  I have to wonder how my life would be different if I had given Him every week after that like I gave him that one week.  A lot happens over three years.  A lot can happen over one week when we let God be in charge.  It's easy to take charge of your own life, but it's amazing when you let God take control, to sculpt and mold you into his intended creation.

No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you; for you have hidden your face from us and have given us over to our sins.  Yet you, Lord, are our Father.  We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64: 7-8 (emphasis added)



Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment