Sunday, January 25, 2015

Physics

It was recently brought to my attention that in a blog from June 2014, that I said I would tell the story about liking friends more than physics.  You can read that blog here.  And so, today I will share that story.

When I moved back to the U.S. from Mexico I was a semester ahead because of not having summer breaks when I was home schooled .  My parents had inquired about going to the local pubic school for half days so that I could do volunteer work with the other half of my days but were told that that was not an option.  I would have to do whole days and take sophomore level Math and English which I had already completed.  Since they knew that making me sit in classes that I had already completed and spin my wheels would be silly, and that they couldn't let me be truant for an entire semester, they decided that I could just take a couple of classes via homeschooling since I had been home schooled in Mexico.  I decided to complete a semester of Economics and a year of Physics during that semester as well as volunteer twice a week at our local food pantry.

During that semester I also began attending one of  the local church's youth group on Wednesday evenings.  This church youth group met twice a week.  On Sunday they would meet for a stereotypical church youth group meeting.  However, on Wednesday evenings it was just time to hang out together for a couple of hours.  We would also watch movies or play sardines together during this time.  As I attended these youth groups and dealt with counter culture shock, and completed my year of physics, I had a realization:  I would rather do physics than hang out with my friends.

At the time, I did not tell people that fact about myself.  I knew that some people would be offended by this, and although I knew I liked to work on Physics more than I like to talk to those people, the brief interactions that I had with them were still valuable to me.

However, as time passed and I became more acclimated to spending time with people, I began to enjoy it more and more.  My senior year, as I became more comfortable spending time with people, I eventually shared with my best friend and my high school guidance counselor that I liked doing physics problems more than I liked spending time with people most of the time.  They both laughed at me knowing that I will always be an introvert and a nerd.

Now that I have explained all of this I would also like to say that I know spending time and interacting with people is important.  I have also begun to learn that some people are better than physics.  And I have also noticed that I become a better and more well-rounded person when I spend more time with other people.

The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper suitable for him." 
Genesis 2: 18

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment