Monday, December 1, 2014

What It's all About

I love listening to Pentatonix.  They are a pretty great group to listen to with a semi-unique sound.  With that said, when I listened to this song it really bothered me.  I don't know how much they changed the lyrics compared to other versions of the song because I don't normally listen to a whole lot of Christmas music.  I really hate to pick media apart and this song isn't going to stop me from listening to Pentatonix because I still love their music.  However, while listening to this song I noticed that a huge piece of Christmas  was left out.  Even in their video when they talked individually about what Christmas means, they only mentioned it once.

What was it?

Christmas is someone's birthday.  Christmas is Jesus' birthday.  His birthday is significant for a wide range of reasons.  One of these would be the fulfilling of prophecy.  He was born of a virgin which was prophesied in Isaiah 7:14.  He was born in Bethlehem, which was foretold in Micah 5:2.  Clearly, Jesus, who came with humble beginnings, was the prophesied messiah.  THAT is what Christmas is about for me.  Christmas is about my messiah, my savior, my shepherd, coming to live in this dirty, sinful Earth, so that he could die as the perfect sacrifice as an adult.

As if being born in a barn wasn't humiliating enough for the Son of God, he proceeded to live his life in servant hood and die a willing death for the world's sins even though he had lived a perfect life.  I don't know about you, but I think that my Savior's birth is pretty fanflippingtastically amazing and should be celebrated more than just once a year.  We should be celebrating it every day of our lives.
We should want to show others his love whenever we see them.  We should want to be servants to others around us so that they can experience his love.

Please know that I'm not saying we shouldn't be grateful for gifts and family and snow.  I just think that Christmas is about something much deeper than any of that.  My family can actually tell you that I haven't been super excited for Christmas these past few years, and it really comes down to what Christmas is about.  I am tired of seeing commercials with Santa and toys to buy.  I don't want to decorate a tree that is going to have to be undecorated in a couple of months or buy a toy that will only be broken in an hour.  I want to celebrate the birth of my Savior.  I want to tell others about the significance of his birth, the greater significance of his death, and the Amazing Splendiferousness of his resurrection.

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment