Monday, December 8, 2014

Delicious Muffins and other Thoughts about Delightful Nourishment

On my way to math class I had the realization that it was Monday.  Upon realizing this I also remembered that I needed to post a blog.  And so upon arriving to math class an hour early I sat down in the hallway AND.........no ideas came.  Then someone started messaging me and I asked them for an adjective and a noun with the decision that I would blog about whatever he messaged me.  He graciously gave me a noun and an adjective that went together, "Delicious Muffin."

I eat a muffin almost everyday for breakfast.  Sometimes it's a blueberry muffin and other days it's a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin.  Both kinds of muffins are delicious.  However, after nearly a semester of eating nothing but muffins for breakfast, they've become routine.  I easily and unappreciatedly eat my muffin without realizing it's full yummifulness.  I can also become like that in my daily devotionals.  It's very easy to just read a chapter in my devotional book and Bible before I go to bed and not stop to think about it.

But that isn't what God wants me to do.  He wants me to sit down and think about what I'm doing.  He wants me to talk to Him throughout the day.  He asks that I not just read the Bible, but study the Bible as well.  He wants me sit down and think about what I'm reading and why I'm reading it.  It's easy to just read my Bible just like it's easy to eat a muffin, but that muffin has to be digested, and so does the Bible if I actually want to be spiritually nourished.

You see, although digestion isn't a conscious effort, it's still a relatively complicated process that happens in your body.  After you chew(when your teeth crush and break the food to increase surface area to allow your saliva to begin breaking down starch into sugar) you swallow.  Swallowing involves peristalsis, which is a muscular movement allowing you to swallow water while standing on your head (Try it if you want!  I did when I first learned about this....albeit, the librarian thought I was a bit crazy afterwards...).  So in your saliva there are enzymes to break down starch to sugar which is then swallowed with peristalsis and the bolus (the ball of food) is then passed to the stomach!  Then in the stomach the food is broken down farther with gastric acid (composed mostly of Hydrochloric acid).  That sounds simple, right??  But wait!!   When your bolus hits your stomach, there isn't a ton of gastric acid already there.  Why? Because if your body constantly produced Gastric acid you would have the insanely annoying stomach ulcers.  Basically, when your stomach registers that there is food in it, the stomach sends a signal to your body to release the hormone "gastrin" which then tells your body that it's time to produce Gastric acid!  Whew!!  This is complicated and we haven't even absorbed any nutrients yet!

Okay, for the sake of keeping this blog a decent length, I'm going to stop where I am, because I think you get the point.  Digestion can be complicated.  That being said, it happens naturally.  Processing what you're doing when your do a daily Bible reading doesn't come nearly as naturally(at least not for me).  I really have to focus to think about what I'm reading.  Because, afterall, if I am not thinking about, learning about, and letting God convict me through what I'm reading, why am I reading it at all?  From here, I will make it a goal to "digest" my Bible reading.

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

P.S. If a blog doesn't happen next week, it's because it's finals week for me.  Enjoy your week!
P.P.S.  Also, if you want more about the digestive system, I recommend a quick google search...I had to in order to remember some of this! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment