Saturday, May 17, 2014

More Stories from a Crazy Life

Having lived in a teeny-tiny, itty-bitty town my entire life, I have become accustomed to a quiet life.   In my teeny-tiny, itty-bitty town, there is a gas station, a bank, a small school, and a Family Dollar store.  That is it.  I'm not kidding.  It really is teeny-tiny and itty-bitty!  That being said, I still manage to get into adventures of my own, like losing my keys under a locked door in the school at six thirty in the evening, or  getting terribly lost in the next town over on the way to Walmart to get last-minute supplies for a project.  The most comical thing that has happened to me occurred a couple of Wednesdays ago.

After school it was a beautiful day outside.  Not only was the weather gorgeous, but I had finished my second AP test that day, which made the day seem even better.  However, there was not time to enjoy the weather.  I had to drive 20 minutes to have my annual physical and 20 minutes back before the Spring Band Concert.  Hopefully between things I would have time to eat supper (as I wouldn't be getting home until after the concert), and to change into dress clothes.  As it turned out, I had ample time after my physical to find something to eat in the refrigerator and to change clothes so that I would receive a passing grade for the concert.  I chose to wear black dress pants with a nice blouse, as I was going to wear a couple of dresses for other presentations that would happen later that week.

I ate quickly and got into the car to drive to the concert.  I had the perfect amount of time to arrive at the school, put together my flute, and get my chair and stand ready on time.  Upon parking the car, I started to unbuckle my seat belt.  I pushed the button on the buckle....aaannnnndd the seat belt remained latched.  I suppose now is a good time to mention that the seat belt in the car sticks on a regular basis, so I calmly pushed the button on the buckle again.  My seat belt remained exactly where it had been.  The warm weather no longer seemed so great to me, as the car was rapidly warming and I was feeling a bit trapped and claustrophobic.  I decided to try the buckle one last time, BUT MY SEAT BELT WAS OFFICIALLY STUCK!  At this point, I realized I had a few options: 

1.)  I could drive home and honk until my parents came out of the house.  (This option would probably make me late)
2.)  I could stop a random person in the parking lot by honking and beg for help.  (Despite it being a small town, I felt like this option could get a bit creepy depending on who heard me honk, not to mention I'm not sure what they really could've done for me.)
3.)  Climb out from under the seat belt. (This could prove to be difficult and annoying, given that I was wearing heels)

Clearly the third option was my best bet!  I quickly took off my shoes and wiggled out from underneath the seat belt and exited what was now a very warm car.

After all of this took place, and I had a few good laughs with my friends about it, I realized how grateful I was that I had been wearing pants for that whole escapade!  I had almost changed my mind and worn a skirt, but decided not to!  Thank God I was wearing pants the night my seat belt stuck!  And thank God for stories I can look back on and laugh about!


Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
James 1:2-3
I recently started a study of the book of James and decided to read until I was felt convicted, and then I would sit and ponder those verses and my life.  I made it to verse 2.  
Learning Joy in ALL circumstances,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment