Monday, February 17, 2014

When your Best isn't Good Enough

In the past week I've received a few letters and e-mails of rejection from scholarships.  I don't know how I'm going to pay for college.  However, I feel that God is calling me to becoming a pediatrician and do some form of ministry with my life.  If it is truly His Will, then I can trust that He will make it happen, right?  I can trust that somehow, someway, I will make it through college and medical school, because He will provide.  I'm not saying that I shouldn't try to do my best.  I'm not saying that I shouldn't care about my grades.  On the contrary, I am told in the Bible that I am to do all my work with all my heart, as if I was doing it for God and not for men (Colossians 3:23).

With each letter that I received, I experienced a brief moment of hope as I opened the letter and then lasting disappointment as I read and discovered the rejection.  By the end of the week I had come to a two part conclusion.  Part 1:  My best just isn't good enough.  Even though I have a 3.9 GPA and decent SAT and ACT scores, I'm being rejected.  Even though I have 4 years of community service, tallying to around 275 hours, I'm being turned down.  I've been involved in a variety of extracurricular activities for the 2 years that I've been in public school.  But my best isn't good enough.  I do not have 4 years of multiple extracurricular activities, because I was living in Mexico as a missionary with my family.  I'm bilingual and have been since I was 15 years old.  But my best just isn't good enough.

I sound relatively pitiful and pathetic right now.  But there is good news.  There is hope.  Here is the second part of my conclusion:  My best doesn't have to be good enough.  I serve a God who is all-mighty and has plans for me.  I do not know what those plans are, but I know they are for my good (Jeremiah 29:11).  Even in times when I haven't wanted to follow Him, (coming back to the U.S. from Mexico is a prime example) I've discovered that it betters me as a person and as a follower of Christ.  It hurts, but it is good for me.  He has shown me joy and love in ways that I never could have imagined.  He has given me new experiences.  He has been merciful when I've messed up, and I'm beginning to learn what it means to trust Him.  As I continue to receive rejection notices(as I'm sure I will), I will remember that God is with me, always (Deuteronomy 31:6).   I will remember that I don't have to be afraid of anything (Deuteronomy 31:6). I will remember that my hope is not in my abilities (albeit, I can't really call them mine, as they are God given), it is in God Himself.  I will remember that God will get me through this.  My best isn't good enough, but thanks to God's grace, mercy, love, and faithfulness it doesn't have to be. :)

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7 
 
  Written in Reckless Abandonment para Jesucristo, Thanks for Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Being transparent in your journey toward Christ is never easy but always worth it. It sounds like Christ is leading you closer to His heart. No matter the rejection, disappointment or hurt...I can attest, it's worth it. Keep your eyes on the true prize my friend!

    ReplyDelete