Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stories

I told myself that I was going to blog 3 times a week.  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I let Monday go because I posted on Sunday, but now it is Wednesday night, I have homework I need to do, and I really don't think I have time to say anything, but I will:
I will tell you a quick little story.  My dad is in Alabama this week, and tomorrow is Valentines day.  My dad told me to pick up a balloon that was at a friend's house and give it to my mom on Thursday. On Tuesday night,  I was going to do just that, until I walked out of the door of the friend's house and the balloon broke off of the string and flew into a tree across the street.  :(
I then proceeded to drive home in the monster of a truck that I had snuck out in(I had snuck out so that I could surprise my mom with the balloon that was now stuck in a tree). 
As I drove home I decided I could still buy her a balloon and surprise her, which meant the truck had to be parked the same way it had when I took it.  It had been backed in.  I began to back the truck in the driveway and heard a crunch.  That is when I realized that there was a mini light pole right next to our driveway.  It was now at a very acute angle with the ground.
A fedex driver had observed the whole thing and then came up to my truck and said, "Don't back up any  farther, you just hit a pole."  all I could think was, no dip Sherlock!  But I just nodded my head, trying not to bite his head off, because I try to avoid that sort of thing.  He then proceeded to tell me he had a package for a Tim.  I told him that Tim did not live on our street. Tim has never lived on this street.  Tim lives across town on a street whose name is very similar to this street's name.  (This is not the first time we have gotten Tim's mail.)  The fedex man asked if he could leave me the package to get to Tim.  I couldn't believe it!! I told the fedex man "no" and told him where I thought the other street was.  I then parked the truck to the best of my ability, which meant that it was still in the yard, and called my mom to explain the whole situation. 
My mom told me today that she has decided that God must not want her to have things, He must want her to have stories!

In this materialistic world I think that this is very good advice.  Stories can be tears.  Stories can bring smiles. Stories can bring laughter.  It is much more powerful to create stories than to have things.  Stories last much longer, and in my mind, they are much more valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment