Thursday, December 1, 2016

Learning on the Struggle Bus

College is designed to be a challenge.  It's meant to cause you to struggle.  If it wasn't a challenge I wouldn't grow.  If I didn't struggle, I wouldn't know how far I can push myself.  This semester, as I've attempted to balance upper-level classwork, working, and completing house requirements; I've struggled.

It's been a struggle to get enough sleep.  It's been a struggle to spend daily time with God.  It's been a struggle to get all of my homework done at my standards.  Getting to class and work and focusing is difficult on days when I've slept less than 5 hours.

But I'm almost done.  I've almost completed the semester.  I have just over two weeks until I take my last final of the semester and the semester comes to a close.  I don't know how this semester will finish academically.  Only by the grace of God will it be 100% successful academically this semester.

But no matter how it turns out, this semester hasn't been a waste.  This semester, God has taught me what it is like to live in community with others.

As I began this semester, I was living with 32  other women for the first time.  While I've lived in a large group of people before, this was different.  Instead of having people of various ages and a few families living in close quarters, this is 33 college-aged women cooperating together.

When I moved in, I did not know the majority of them.  Of the few that I did know, I did not know them well.  This was nerve-wracking for a couple of reasons. I'm introverted and cherish my alone time that allows me to recharge.  Now, I share my study space with a roommate, sleep in one room with all 33 of us, and cook and share meals with others.  Secondly, I have had the same small group of close friends since elementary school.  I prefer to have a few deep relationships over many shallow relationships.  33 people is a lot of people to know and interact with on a regular basis for me.

As the semester wore on and I struggled through everything, my roommates offered a unique support system around me.  While I had had this at previously, I had forgotten how good it was to have.  When I was exhausted and tired, they loved me and told me it would be okay.  When I was overwhelmed and stressed out, they loved me and reminded me that everything was in God's hands.  When I didn't know what was going on with my health, they loved me and prayed for healing.

Each night, before dinner we have devotions together.  When I lived by myself I could go an entire day without having a complete conversation with another person.  Now I find myself having deep conversations with people on a regular basis.

As this semester winds down, I have been well rested the past couple of weeks.  I have been able to manage my work better, and I'm healthy.  But better than all of that, I am beginning to see how important relationships are within the body of Christ.

A good friend once pointed out that ministry is relational, and I knew that the friend was right.  However, I had forgotten how to form new relationships.  Now, as this semester comes to a close, I see God gently reminding me and showing me how to form relationships.  Showing me that I am not meant to be alone in this world.  I am meant to support others and be supported by others.

This process has just begun, but I'm excited to see where God is taking me.

How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! 
Psalm 133:1

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment