Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Freedom...

If you know me very well at all, you know that I am easily distracted.  Especially when I have an internet connection.  I don't watch T.V. shows on a regular basis, but I love watching educational YouTube videos.  Unfortunately, as fun as they are to watch, I don't always watch the most useful or applicable videos for what I am currently studying. (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADD7QlQoFFI)

Because I know that I am easily distracted, I have a program on my computer that blocks me from going to certain websites.  I can set it for a period of time for a list of specific sites.  When I have it turned on and attempt to go to one of these sites, I get the following screen:



The main message doesn't tell me that I'm blocked from the site.  It tells me I'm free from the site.

It doesn't always feel like freedom when I really want to visit the site and I can't access it.  But the thing is, I could choose to type in my password and access the site.  And I also have the freedom to choose not to do so.

For many people, they see religion as a jail, or a list of rules that you have to follow.  But it really isn't about that.  Religion is about being free from sin in Christ.

For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.  What then?  Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace?  By no means!  Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey-whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?
Romans 6:14-16

I always have the choice of returning to the old master, sin.  But I know that it leads to death.  In Christ, I have the opportunity to follow a new master, obedience.  I get to choose to obey, not because of a list of rules hanging over my head, but because I want to follow God.  

True freedom isn't a freedom to be thoughtless and completely careless, but a freedom of choice.  I get to choose which master to serve.  Who will I serve today?

Living in Reckless Abandonment for Jesucristo,
Jo



No comments:

Post a Comment