Monday, February 16, 2015

Adventures at Nap Time

I had every intention of blogging about feeling love through granola bars, a jar of peanut butter, and fruit snacks but instead decided to blog about a slightly more recent occurrence in my life.  Sunday afternoon I wanted to take a nap.  Because I was tired (I slept through my first alarm that morning, that's how tired I was).  Knowing that I would sleep for the entire day if I didn't set an alarm, I set an alarm on my phone for 45 minutes after I was going to lay down, knowing that I would probably hit snooze a couple of times and didn't want to waste too much of my day laying (not lying...I looked it up!  You're welcome, Mom!) in bed.  I left my phone on my desk when I laid down.  Now, for those of you who don't know, my desk is under my lofted bed.  I actually intentionally leave my phone on my desk when I get in bed because getting up out of bed to hit snooze helps me wake up.

I laid down in bed and experienced a very relaxing and seemingly short 45 minutes.  After the luxurious time, my alarm blared at me and told me that I needed to get out of bed to finish my reading assignments, math homework, watch video lectures, and blog.  I proceeded to get out of bed, grab my phone, hit snooze, and carry it to bed with me where I put it on a shelf next to my books so that it would be closer to hit snooze the second time (and third time, if I'm being honest).  (Waking up isn't exactly easy for me...).  The second time my alarm went off, I simply grabbed my phone, hit snooze the last time, and put it back on the shelf.  I will stop here to mention that I was legitimately planning to get up the next time my alarm went off, even if the following event hadn't occurred, as that would be 15 minutes from the original time period I had set for myself and would be close to an hour nap.

The third time my alarm went off, I started to sit up only to hear a loud clatter as my phone had vibrated off of my shelf and onto the floor.  Now, as mentioned above, the shelf is the same height as my bed, and my bed is lofted.  Much to my surprise, my alarm continued to go off after my phone had fallen onto the tile floor and the back had popped off.  As such, I had the task of getting out of bed and getting my arm between the bed/wall/refrigerator to retrieve my phone.  At this point, my roommate was already trying to get my phone.  She was probably annoyed at the incessant alarm. (oops!)

Now, as I'm being honest, I will admit that this is not the first time this has happened to me/my phone.  As such, I intervened to grab my phone, rather than my roommate struggling to reach it, because I thought I knew the angle that I needed to have to grab it.  I quickly looked at where the phone was, leaned forward and reached down....and THUNK!!  In my still half-asleep stupor, I had focused too much on the local setting of the phone and forgotten about the bed frame that is a little bit lower than my height.  I hit my head hard enough to lose some skin, but it was also hard enough to wake me up much more wholly than I had been.  (Yay!)

I now have a tender bump on my head.  I hope that this story will award you a good laugh, as you imagine me fumbling around half asleep. (I know I laughed at myself!)

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment